Friday, July 18, 2008

A Caution About Bicyling from Prudhoe Bay

A letter to Alaska from their Mom and the response from Alaska. Posted by their dad after Eric and Matthew completed biking 494 miles from Deadhorse to Fairbanks.
Hi, My sons are planning a bike trip from Prudhoe Bay down thru the US. What is the best inexpensive way to mail or get the bikes up to Prudhoe Bay and where should they be sent? Thank you,
A very,very,concerned mother. June 15, 2008 Hi Mary Kay, Your request for information about bicycling from Prudhoe Bay was shared with me by our 511 coordinator. I am the state Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator. Let me add to her response. http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/recreation/dalton_hwy.html Any trip along the Dalton Highway requires serious and detailed advance preparation. Your trip will start at Deadhorse, not Prudhoe Bay. The Deadhorse airport is at the entrance to the Prudhoe Bay oil fields. Note that the roads leading to Prudhoe Bay and the Arctic Ocean are closed to the public; you will NOT be able to bike to the Arctic Ocean at Prudhoe Bay. It is 240 miles from the start of the highway at Deadhorse to Coldfoot; in that stretch there are NO SERVICES: no gas stations, no lodges, no groceries, no human habitation. You must be completely self-sufficient with adequate food, spare parts, tools and the skills to use them. Water is available from streams or ponds if you have the proper water purification accessories. The actual distance from Deadhorse to Fairbanks (the first community of any size) is 494 miles. Most of the route is unpaved gravel roads with large cobbles. A skinny-tired bike would be hard-pressed; fat tire bikes are recommended. You will need to carry spare tires and tubes. Expect thick clouds of mosquitoes in the summer. Most of the traffic on the road consists of large freight trucks, many with long or wide loads. They travel fast and kick up dust and rocks. There are no medical services. There are steep grades, approaching 13%, on the highway (and, I’m told, the steepest uphill grades are found going southbound.) I suspect your best bet will be as Jill suggested, to check your bikes (boxed) as luggage. No matter which method you use, it will require you to assemble them on your arrival – and there are no bike shops at Deadhorse that can help. Now that I’ve given you the warnings, the trip can be an amazing adventure – if you are prepared for it. Below is some general information that may help plan the rest of trip. I can go on, but I’d better get this in the mail. Do e-mail or call me at (907) 465-6989 if you have any more questions. I hope you enjoy your bicycle tour of Alaska. I would be most interested to learn your impressions of the bicycling facilities along our roads and trails following your trip. Please feel free to drop me a note upon your return. Sincerely, Robert Laurie Alaska Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aloha and thanks for posting this. I'm doing my homework for my own Alaska to points south trip for this summer and can't read too much about it. thanks and happy miles.